Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file expired articles displayed

More
8 years 11 months ago #4219 by cbrace
Replied by cbrace on topic expired articles displayed
OK, the problem seems to be with "expired" articles. They all have a state of "1".

Is your module also checking the Publish_Down date? The answer seems to be YES for non-registered users. But as soon as one logs in, expired articles are also shown.

Here is something else I've discovered: it is all registered users, not just the owner or an admin as we discussed above. If I log in the front-end as a regular user, I also see the expired articles listed in the module.

Olivier, can you check this on one of your own setups? If you can't duplicate the problem, it must be an issue with my particular Joomla installation.

Thanks for your help. I hope we can sort this out!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4220 by admin
Replied by admin on topic expired articles displayed
The thing is, the module uses the Joomla model to get the articles. It does not fetch the articles from the database, it asks Joomla to do so.

Not to be too technical, the module sets 'filter.published' to '1', which tells the Joomla model to make sure the articles received will be the published ones only. The framework takes care of the dirty work.

I think your article's state is wrong and should be set to 0, not 1.

If the dates are correct and the states are set to 1 as you mentioned, try and edit the state column for one article (replace 1 by 0) and check if you see it in the module.
- I was wrong, the state should remain '1'.

Also, if you have other outdated articles that correctly do not show, I would suggest you compare data between a correct line with a wrong one.

Olivier.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by admin.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4221 by admin
Ok, good news (in a way), I was able to reproduce the behavior on my end. I am going to investigate further and see why this happens.

Olivier.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #4222 by admin
I have done some more testing...

This is not a bug, this is Joomla's behavior (I needed a refresher myself).

To make sure the problem was not tied up to the Latest News Enhanced (LNE) module, I created an instance of the latest news module packaged with Joomla and tested both modules in parallel.

When user John Doe (which only has a 'registered' profile) logs in, he does NOT see the outdated article. When I am logged in as 'super user', I do see it. And I know that users with an 'admin' profile will get the same behavior (I do remember from a previous website I worked on).

When you tell me:

Here is something else I've discovered: it is all registered users, not just the owner or an admin as we discussed above. If I log in the front-end as a regular user, I also see the expired articles listed in the module.

I can honestly say that I don't get that behavior on my test site. My regular user, John Doe, does not see the articles, from LNE or the Joomla one.

Although I ruled out a bug in LNE (unless it is also a bug in Joomla), it does not explain why a regular user sees those articles on your site, while I don't.

Olivier.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by admin.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4223 by cbrace
Replied by cbrace on topic expired articles displayed
Hi again,

My bad. I removed my colleague's admin rights, making him a regular user, but then gave him back-end access to the article manager and another extension he uses, which I guess made him no longer a regular user!

The behaviour seems to be that articles that expire are not automatically unpublished; and until you unpublish them they are still visible to admins. I wonder what the reason for this is, maybe some kind of safeguard.

What I've now done is gone to the article manager, selected the category of articles which are displayed by LEN, and marked them all unpublished except the one current one. I see that they now have zero in the State column in the Content table. That now fixes the problem.

I thought I unpublished all the expired ones in previous attempts but I must have missed a couple. Selecting the entire category made sure I got them all.

More
8 years 11 months ago #4224 by admin
Thanks for your feedback!

Olivier.