Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file What am I missing

More
11 years 2 months ago #1524 by Cool_Hand_Fluke
What am I missing was created by Cool_Hand_Fluke
I am trying to utilize sub categories but I don't see where I can add them as an option.

I am sure it is something simple but I just can't find it or don't see it as an option on my joomla backend. (Joomla 2.5)

What I am trying to do is be able to have a contact be part of the entire catagory (member) plus the ability to list him in a subcategory (officer) and then other sub catagories if he meets the criteria (charter member, life member, or any other designation we choose)

If I need to supply any other information please let me know...
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #1527 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: What am I missing
Hello,
the sub-categories are useful when you have a category like 'companies' and want to keep adding contact sub-categories in the Joomla! admin console (Components -> Contacts -> Categories). For instance, adding company names as sub-categories to 'companies', which can be added throughout the life of the site without modifying the Trombinoscope module categories options every time you make a change in the contact categories.

Create the category 'member' then create the sub-categories you wish to use as sub-categories of 'member'. Do all that in the admin console as explained above.
Note that a contact can only be part of one category.

In order to allow for a contact to be part of several categories, I actually use meta keywords for each contact. Trombinoscope Extended allows you to select contacts by similar keywords.

Olivier.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by admin.

More
11 years 2 months ago #1529 by Cool_Hand_Fluke
Replied by Cool_Hand_Fluke on topic Re: What am I missing
Ah that's what I was afraid of..you say "Note that a contact can only be part of one category."

so if I want to display all of the officers of a company...I have to enter all the contact in the category or sub category titled" officers" but if I want to have a module display the "Charter Members" of the company...then I have to make sure all of those contacts are re-entered in the "Charter Members" category as well...

is that correct?

but the Extended version still doesn't do it exactly the way I am looking for...I would need to use the meta key words like you mentioned...ok

More
11 years 2 months ago #1531 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: What am I missing
Yes, you just hit a Joomla! shortcoming :-)
The way you want the contacts ordered is not possible with Joomla! as it is.
Another suggestion: use the 'featured' option to make your contacts charter members. Then you can create a menu item just for featured contacts.
If you want that feature in a module, Trombinoscope Extended allows you to do that also...

Olivier.