Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file Image creation

More
3 years 7 months ago #5291 by marsu
Image creation was created by marsu
Is it planed to change the way Images are croped with joomla 4 and the new Media Manager? For now cutting out a specific part of a photo is not possible right? 
Greetings THomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5292 by syw
Replied by syw on topic Image creation
Hello Thomas,

the short answer is no.

If you need to crop contact images in a specific way, you will be able to do it in the media manager directly and manually (rather than in a third-party tool) in Joomla 4. 

But the new media manager does not help the automatic crop of images in any way for Trombinoscope Contacts Pro.

Some developer could create a plugin for the new media manager to crop images automatically based on the content (for instance to automatically center a human face) or use an online service's API to do so (like cropp.me or cloudinary.com).

:-)

Olivier.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5293 by marsu
Replied by marsu on topic Image creation
Hello, Olivier, 
thank you for your quick response. 
As you already said Joomla 4 comes with a new Media Manager. I actually wanted to ask, will you support this new Media Manager that comes with Joomla4? 
With the new media manager, users will be able to edit their pictures as they like (resize /crop). 
This is a feature I currently miss under Joomla 3.9 and Trombinoscope or have i missed something?

More
3 years 7 months ago #5294 by syw
Hi Thomas,

Trombinoscope Contacts does not use the media manager to crop images, it uses its own internal way to do so. Therefore old or new media manager, it makes no difference.
There is no link between Trombinoscope Contacts and the media manager.

Under Joomla 4, however, since you can now crop images directly in the console (manually, there is no automatic crop), you will be able to crop the images the way you want. That way, you can turn off image crop in Trombinoscope and use the original image rather than having Trombinoscope create thumbnails. 

Olivier.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5296 by marsu
Replied by marsu on topic Image creation
Hello Olivier, sorry if I bothered you with my questions. I'm very enthusiastic about ContactPro and see it for me rather like a CommunityBuilder alternative that leaves out unnecessary things like a gallery or a chat that nobody uses and adds elementary things like Vcards, design, multiple contacts that are assigned to one User (super handy if you have a club with children who cannot maintain the data themselves).
My goal is to use ContactPro in such a way that club members can maintain their contact data themselves. For your own photo it would be useful if the user would have the possibility to select the part of the photo that is cut out of the photo.
I understood your last hint in the way that with Joomla4 I would have a possibility to organize the image editing without ContactPro. But that would be a central approach where I would be responsible for the photos of everyone.
I am looking for a decentralized solution that everyone can use.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5298 by syw
I totally understand, of course :-)

What you asking is more specific:
you want users to be able to crop pictures when they add their picture in the frontend while editing their contact information.

Considering the uploading of the picture goes through the native browser file upload system, Trombinoscope Contacts Pro does not have control of the user's input. Therefore, the picture needs to be 'usable' before the user uploads it. 

Trombinoscope Contacts Pro does not use the media manager for image upload because there is no way to prevent users to snoop around all of the site's images available in the media manager. There is no permission based on the directory structure. 

The only solution would be for Trombinoscope Contacts Pro to process the image on save, once the user has finished editing his/her information. That is not a feature I will offer, however. Automatic crop still does not allow the user to choose how the picture will look like in the end.

Therefore, unless there is a way in the future to give users access to the media manager safely, the users will have to crop their own picture themselves.

Note that, in Trombinoscope, when you set 'process picture' to yes, the extension crops the images automatically. So it is just a matter, in this case, to tell the users to make sure their face is centered on the image. The extension does the rest.

Olivier.