Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file Advanced Option - Enable/Disable jQuery.noConflic

More
12 years 1 week ago #201 by benmillerj
I made an addition to the plugin that I thought might be useful to others. I've created an "Advanced Options" section in the plugin configuration that allows the administrator to determine whether 1) all instances of jQuery.noConflict() are stripped from the site and 2) whether a final instance of jQuery.noConflict() is inserted after loading all external resources.

On my site, I found that disabling both of these features allowed things to work correctly. Of course, the settings default to "on," so the plugin will function exactly as it does unless the administrator intentionally turns them off.

I've also incorporated my regular expression suggestion that I posted about here .

yours,
ben
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #204 by admin
Thank you Ben for sharing this with us. It is nice to see that some developers share their solutions, which in turn can benefit others.
I have thought of the options you suggested, and I am sure you know that there are many other ways to improve the jQuery Easy plugin. There is a long list of parameters I could include. My purpose with this plugin is to keep it as simple as possible (hence the name 'jQuery Easy') for people who have a hard time understanding what is going on with jQuery...
So I am still debating if I will include this in the next version of jQuery Easy. I just don't want this plugin to become as complex as some of the competition...

Olivier.
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by admin.

More
12 years 1 week ago #205 by benmillerj
Olivier,

I have great respect for the simplicity and elegance of the plugin (as an administrator and developer). That is actually one of the reasons I settled on it instead of some of the other solutions available in the Joomla Extensions gallery.

You alluded to other ways to improve the plugin. If you want any help, I'd be glad to contribute. If this interests you, it would probably be best to put the plugin under some sort of versioning, like GitHub.

yours,
ben

More
12 years 1 week ago #207 by admin
Thank you very much Ben. I am going to see how far I want to go with the plugin. I am working on a fix release, which is most needed right now. I mainly want to focus on what is happening under the hood other than adding too many new features, so it stays simple for the end user. I will incorporate your previous fix into it.
I will let you know of future developments. All my code is under subversion already (SVN). Thank you very much for being an active participant and I am definitely keeping your offer to help. You've done a lot already!

Olivier.

More
12 years 1 week ago #211 by admin
Hi Ben,
can you tell me in what circumstances you had to keep all 'no conflict' code from other extensions and not add the jQuery Easy one? I don't understand how getting rid of those and adding the plugin 'no conflict' would be a problem.
Thanks! (I am just trying to figure out the necessity of such options you suggested)

Olivier.

More
12 years 1 week ago #212 by benmillerj
Sure, the situation I got into was with the Nivo Slideshow plugin for the Phoca Gallery (which recommended by some of the templates I've been using). This plugin inserts the following code in-line after loading other external JS:
var pgSNJQ = jQuery.noConflict();
It then goes on to execute about 20 lines of code with jQuery mapped to the namespace pgSNJQ. When jQuery Easy removed all instances of jQuery.noConflict, the code was left as the following, invalid statement.
var pgSNJQ =

In terms of how jQuery Easy inserts jQuery.noConflict(): after looking at it again, I'm not sure my change was totally necessary. It turns out that it didn't solve the problem I thought it did with my code and I'm still trying to debug it.