Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

check jQuery Easy 2.2.4 to 4.0.1

More
3 years 11 months ago #5241 by Oneman
jQuery Easy 2.2.4 to 4.0.1 was created by Oneman
As a novice web designer who does not understand jQuery (use prepackaged templates, plug-ins, etc.), is there an easy/simple way on my Joomla  3.9.18 website to determine if this upgrade will adversely affect my website? This is all a no profit at all website and all work is freely done. I'm not even sure I need jQuery although I use a component called AjaxQuiz which may use it, but am not certain even to that. If anyone has some advice, I sure would appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5242 by syw
Replied by syw on topic jQuery Easy 2.2.4 to 4.0.1
Hello!

If you installed jQuery Easy a while back, it must have been to fix some underlying conflict you have had in the past.
The free version's majority of the overhaul has been adding new features that can improve page loading over the previous versions of the plugin.

Ideally, having a test site where you can test major new releases (the same goes for all extensions and even Joomla itself) would be perfect.
Also, backing up your live site before any update is a must in case you need to revert your changes.

In the case of jQuery Easy, if the 4.0 update ever breaks your site for some reason, you can revert back to the previous version, which I have kept available as a download on this site.

jQuery Easy works on pages as they are put together by the Joomla framework, real-time. Removing the plugin from your site will keep your site unchanged, like it was never there in the first place. But if you had installed it to fix javascript issues, these issues will come back.

Olivier.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5243 by Oneman
Replied by Oneman on topic jQuery Easy 2.2.4 to 4.0.1
Thank you for responding. I de-activated it and the AjaxQuiz did not work so I re-activated it, backed up the site and am going to try to load the website onto a localhost site on a flash drive to see if I can install the most recent version without any problems. I'm afraid to just install it on the live site and if it fails, to upload the backup. Will be in touch. Thanks again.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5244 by syw
Sounds good!

Olivier.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5245 by Oneman
Replied by Oneman on topic jQuery Easy 2.2.4 to 4.0.1
I thought I'd move the live site to a localsite using WXAMPP/Apache and kickstart and then be able to test the 4.0.1. However, I have run into one problem after the other in moving the site. Though I have not given up completely, I'm considering installing the 4.0.1 and if it damages the site, re-load using the last backup. However, I have a question if someone could answer. Since it is not on the Joomla auto update, do I have to delete version 2.2.4 or will it overwrite it? Thank you.

More
3 years 11 months ago #5246 by syw
No, do not un-install the previous version of jQuery Easy or else you will loose all your settings. 

Even though there is no automatic update, installing the new version acts as if it was a regular update.

With the way jQuery Easy works (touching nothing of your site files), if any problem occurs with v4.0.1, you should be able to install v2.2.4 over v4.0.1 and get back your old settings without the need to deploy your last backup.

The only one thing to pay attention to is avoid removing the plugin in order to keep the settings of the plugin intact.

Olivier.