Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file Feature request for thumbnail hierarchy

More
2 years 6 months ago #5540 by LMKWebDesign
Feature request for thumbnail hierarchy was created by LMKWebDesign
Hello Olivier,

I have a feature request for an additional thumbnail hierarchy option. Would it be possible to add one that pulls the Full image first, then Content, then Intro last?

My use case is that we have two different layouts of the same content on our site. The home page one uses circular thumbnails, so we have been using square thumbnail images for these. On the interior pages, the thumbs are rectangular, and the thumbnails created from square images just don't look as nice. It would be very useful if I could set the square image as the Intro image and the rectangular one as the Full image, then have the two different sections set at different hierarchies, which would allow me to have nice-looking thumbs in both places. We are not using the Full image inside of articles.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #5541 by syw
Replied by syw on topic Feature request for thumbnail hierarchy
Hello!

Why not just use the full image option (Image full)? If I understand your use case, you would need to use the extension once with intro images, and another time with full images.

I don't see why you would need Full -> content -> intro in this use case, unless I missed something.

It seems like you would always have a full image for the articles. Do you really need to have a backup image coming from the article content if the full image is missing?

Just let me know if I did not get it right :-)

Olivier.

More
2 years 6 months ago #5542 by LMKWebDesign
Replied by LMKWebDesign on topic Feature request for thumbnail hierarchy
Good question! It's because we already have 1000s of articles with only an intro image specified (and some have a content image, since that's currently the first option for that specific inner page setup). The site is over 10 years old. If I were to change it to Full only, all of those articles would lose their custom thumbnail. I'd rather have the older ones not looking great than have the default fill in after the change. In case it helps, pages in question are:
www.usfashionindustry.com/ (scroll down for the module)
www.usfashionindustry.com/news/industry-news-intel (uses LNEP menu item)

More
2 years 6 months ago #5543 by syw
Replied by syw on topic Feature request for thumbnail hierarchy
Thanks for the links, that really helps visualizing what you are talking about :-)

I am not going to be able to add a new image selection for a while and the one you suggested, even though it makes sense for this use case particularly, may not give you total satisfaction, as the output will mostly depend on the included images in the articles, which will be cropped and not look better than the intro image being cropped.

What I would suggest, as a temporary solution for now, is to add a full image to about 32-48 of the newest articles and add a default image in the extension for the remaining articles. Since articles are loaded from newer to oldest, the first 32-48 articles will have perfect looking images, the rest will have the default image. Over time, the list of articles with specific images will grow (relatively fast since articles are added regularly) as you add intro and full images in the workflow.

On top of adding new ways to select images (there are quite a few possible combinations, I am not sure they all are relevant), I will soon offer the possibility to add the category image as default. This way a default image in, say, a 'Fashion' category could be different from a 'Movies' category.

Olivier.

More
2 years 6 months ago #5544 by LMKWebDesign
Replied by LMKWebDesign on topic Feature request for thumbnail hierarchy
That is something we could do, and it would resolve our concerns going forward. There's already a default image in place, so there would still be something there - just not customized per-article. I'll chat with staff and see what they think!

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: syw