Are you enjoying the extensions? Did you like the support? Help others decide.

Leave a review

file Link to page?

More
11 years 2 months ago #1475 by Alan Rochfords
Replied by Alan Rochfords on topic Re: Link to page?

michaelo wrote: Is there a way to link to the actual page my article is on...

Hi Olivier,

Very many thanks for your attention and help!
To return to this question, is it possible to create a single, 'default' hyperlink for news articles to point to a fixed URL?

Many thanks,

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #1477 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Link to page?
Hello Alan,
no there is not such a feature. The closest you can do is having a link to the article's category.
Do you have an example for such a need?

Olivier.

More
11 years 2 months ago #1478 by Alan Rochfords
Replied by Alan Rochfords on topic Re: Link to page?
Morning Olivier,

It's really to get around having menu module assignments on the homepage: with them the latest news feature opens at the bottom of the page instead of it's own page. This is all expected behaviour, but as I'm not really an expert on these things I could only think that having a fixed URL for the 'read more' link to direct to the articles page might be an easy solution!

But then you mention linking to the articles category, and I wonder whether this may be the way to do this.

Alan :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #2319 by jkrage
Replied by jkrage on topic Re: Link to page?
I just started using this Module today -- It's great. Thank you for a great module.

I am running into the same issue -- when clicking on LHE links the link always open on the same page rather than on a page that is meant to display the news item. I don't see any settings to change this.

Scenario: You don't want an article linked to by LHE to be displayed on your front page, but you do want the LHE to be displayed on your front page. When someone currently viewing the homepage of your site clicks on an LHE news link they see the article displayed on the homepage usually at the bottom of the homepage (since most sites have a lot of module content on the frontpage) rather than a page that is meant to display the news article.

Link currently being created is something like the following: /index.php/[category]/
Article cannot be shown

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #2320 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Link to page?
Hello,
funny that I got the same question twice today :-)
and thanks for the compliment.

The issue you are having is a Joomla! configuration issue. You will get the same behavior with the Latest News module packaged with Joomla! for instance.

What is happening is that you are using articles in the LNE module that 'do not have any place set to go' when opened. Elements of Joomla! that are opened through a module (articles, contacts...) will always open in the homepage (which actually is the root of the site) because the system was not told of any place to put them in.

The only way to change that behavior is to create a menu item where all these elements will appear. That menu item has to be published but does not have to show on the website. It can be part of a menu that will never show. Most of my sites have a 'hidden' menu just for that purpose. I use it also for search results.

Doing that will not only show your elements in its own page but you will also be able to assign modules to that specific page by using menu assignments.

So, what you need to do in your case, is to create a menu item 'category list/blog' that will represent the page where the elements from LNE will be linked to. No need to create a menu item for each article. Just one per category your are using (I am not sure the 'list all categories' will work in case you are showing articles in LNE from several categories but you can try).
Make that menu item part of your menu or make it a hidden menu as I explained.

From now on, your articles links will lead to a specific page that is not the homepage.

Olivier.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by admin.

More
10 years 9 months ago #2339 by jkrage
Replied by jkrage on topic Re: Link to page?
Sweet. That took care of it.

I appreciate your quick response. :)