Trombinoscope Contacts Pro offers an extra tool to help import contacts into the Joomla! core Contacts component.
Go to the menu
Trombinoscope Contacts Pro ->
|delimiter||the column delimiter of the file|
|update existing||if set to 'yes', the contacts are going to be updated with the new data. Otherwise, new contacts are created|
|publish all||publish all contacts or none of them|
|upload||the .csv or .txt file to use for import|
There are a few sets of rules to follow for a successful import:
- The first line of the file must contain the column names,
- column names of the file must match the column names found in the following table,
- catid is a mandatory column. This is the contact category id the contact will belong to (from the core Contacts component),
- name is a mandatory column, unless the columns firstname and lastname exist. In that case, the name will be created from those two columns instead,
- to separate meta keys or tags, or if the data contains commas, choose a different delimiter for the columns (; or |).
When errors occur, logs are created under the file
syw.errors.log in the site's logs folder. Use that file to find out what problems prevent the file to be imported.
|name||John Doe||firstname + ' ' + lastname|
|alias||john-doe||aliases are unique in a category. In case of duplicates, the second alias will be called name-1, the third name-2 and so on|
|user_id||42||optional id of a user linked to the contact|
|catid||13||Contact component category id the contact belongs to|
|address||4520 N. Martin Drive/n#3||adding /n creates a new line|
|telephone||773 400 2133||format to your liking|
|fax||773 400 2134|
|mobile||312 966 3453|
|webpage||http://johndoe.com||the path must start with http:// or https://|
|misc||<p>A <i>great</i> developer!</p>||can contain basic html formatting|
|image||images/johndoe.jpg||the path must start with images/. The image must be present in the media manager at the specified path|
|published||1||publish all parameter value from the import form|
|linka_label ... linke_label|
|linka ... linke||http://facebook.com/...||the paths must start with http:// or https://|
|access||1||1 (means 'public')||for the list of available values, go to the User Manager -> Viewing access levels|
|sortname1||Doe||recommended for accurate sorting of contacts|
|language||en-GB||* (means 'all')|
|metadesc||A great developer|
|featured||1||0||1 is featured, 0 is not featured|
|tags||staff, board||tags must exist prior to import (in the core Tag component)|
These fields come from the content plugin Add key contact fields. The plugin and the corresponding columns must be enabled prior to import.
|gender||m||m for male, f for female, c for other|
|birthdate||1975-11-03||the format YYYY-MM-DD is required|
|summary||A <i>great</i> developer!|
It is possible to import data into custom fields (the custom fields must have been created prior to import).
There are a few conventions for the naming of the column:
- start the column name with
- use the custom field's name as second part of the column name
|customfield:name||value1,value2||for list, imagelist, checkboxes and gallery field types|
Other than the mandatory columns, just use the columns that are necessary for your requirements.
- A compatibility issue with files saved on Mac (IOS) has been reported. Saving files as text solves the problem.
- The importing may not work when K2 is installed in Joomla! 3.1+ (when clicking on 'import', nothing happens). Disable the system plugin System - k2 just for the time needed for import. Re-enable the plugin once the upload of contacts has been terminated successfully.